Friday, May 14, 2010

Fruit Flies + Fruit = Summertime Blues

Hi Bob:

Hope this email finds you well!  I used to email with Judy about my bulldogs, Mabelline and Romey.  I was also a daily visitor to her Journal - I sure miss her!

With regard to your fruit fly problem, I had the same thing one time.  I have a compost pile and I keep a pail under the sink to store scraps until I'm ready to walk them out to the composter.  I had forgotten that I left scraps in there for a while, and for whatever reason decided to open up the lid in the kitchen, and about a thousand fruit flies flew out all over the kitchen!

What worked like a charm was the following:  get a small bowl and put about one inch of apple cider vinegar, then swirl around a couple of drops of dish detergent into that vinegar and leave it on the counter.  The vinegar has a strong odor and once they sit on the mixture with the dish detergent, they can't fly away.  I caught almost all of them out of the kitchen in about 24 hours!

I am enjoying your blog - keep it up!

Kind regards,
Vanessa
Thanks, Vanessa I'm trying your suggestion right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment