Friday, May 28, 2010

Up All Night With A Sick Friend - Melanie (German Shepherd)

Melanie is ill!  Yesterday morning, several of the English bulldogs got their baths on the back porch.  Melanie happened by and asked if she could help.  She loves to help. "You need a bath yourself," I told her. So I soaked her down and rubbed in some tick and flea soap.  Well, I didn't do a good enough job rinsing the soap out of her double layered fur.  And I should not have sprayed her with flea mist so soon after her bath.  The combination caused a reaction that laid her low!  She just wanted to lie down in the kitchen and watch me with those big brown eyes.  Since 4 this morning, she has passed the low point.  She went to the back door and wanted out -- a very good sign.

Melanie has passed early Saturday morning in her sleep.  I will always think of her as she was a constant companion, a gift from Judy.

Update:  Cause of death was tick and flea soapy water.  Melanie drank from the kiddy pool that I had been rinsing the bulldogs in.  I should have put her up.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about Melanie. I know you will miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bob, I am so sorry about Melanie. She was a beautiful sweet soul. I know that her best years were with you and Judy.

    ReplyDelete